Thursday, August 7, 2008

The plight of a father

Hey there this is Chris. Thought you parents out there could relate to this little story.

Toward the end of Gunner and Tucker's baseball season things started to get very busy for our family. With weddings, work, the baseball schedule and rain outs/ reschedules etc we..... well we forgot Gunner's last game. I know we're terrible parents- Gunner would agree with you. I apologized more than necessary, and he was just about ready to forgive me when at Tucker's last game Tucker was presented a trophy. That was it; Gunner didn't get a trophy because I forgot to get him to his last game, and it was all MY fault. F.Y.I. in this family the kids ALWAYS think it's my fault. I could have nothing to do with the situation; but Mom's never wrong..... I'm OK with that I'm just saying. Anyhow, Gunner would occasionally ask me when I was going to get his trophy for him, so finally in the middle of a work day I jumped on the computer and ordered him a trophy then took my lunch to pick it up. I was pretty excited to present it to him when I returned home.

Upon arrival Calvin snuck a peak at the trophy and got very ecstatic that Dad had a trophy. I didn't put it together and proceeded to tell Gunner and Tucker to put the Wii remotes down. I built up the suspension as much as I could until the kids were jumping up and down on the couch. And when I finally presented the trophy to GUNNER!!!!!!! Calvin looked like he had just been hit in the gut. Tears we're rolling down out of those big brown eyes and he couldn't believe that Tucker and Gunner had a trophy and well...... Dad didn't get him one. Gunner was happy for about a second. He set his trophy down (must of forgot the hug and thanks) and picked up the Wii remote again. Calvin must have asked me 30 times that night if I could go get him a trophy. Hummm.... THAT WAS WORTH IT!

Two days later I ordered a "Calvin #1 Fan" trophy. I presented it to him and he was overjoyed. Not less than 5 minutes after giving him his trophy he broke it. I'm talking supper glue mega broken. I'm tearing my junk drawers apart looking for glue, finally find some, glue and hold, hold, hold, MAN IT TAKES A LONG TIME FOR SUPER GLUE TO DRY WHEN IT'S CAKED ON! Finally it's fixed but I don't let Calvin play with it. He's not happy, I grab Tuckers Trophy put it by Calvin's and ask where Gunner's is; he lost it.

If you have Itunes download the following:
Can't get it right today
By-Joe Purdy
Album-You can't tell Geogia

It's a good song but makes this story better.

UPDATE: I received this email today. You've got to be kidding me!

Hello everyone, I know T-ball is long over, so who's ready to party?!

I spoke with Melissa and she is willing to let us all meet up at her shop, Tundra Trophy, so we can hand out trophies to all the kids. I know it's sort of short notice, but we were thinking Tuesday evening, Aug 12, at 6pm.

Tundra Trophy is located off of Lucille, left on Swanson, 2nd building on the left. 124th Swanson Ave. There is a sign on the road and the entrance is to the back/side of the building, there are arrows to show the way.

Melissa has also offered to make cupcakes for everyone! Thanks Melissa!

Please reply to this e-mail as soon as you can so we can get a head count. I hope this will work for everyone,

Thanks,
Jennifer & Mike Dawkins

3 comments:

Marie said...

Haha...

Funny story.

Connie Marie said...

Kids! You can't live with 'em and ya can't live without 'em!

I just wonder what they will remember of all this when they are in their twenties! ha

Sarah said...

Yeah, Chris...we can relate to your story. We missed some kind of party last year for Ryley's football, and just the other day, his old coach from a full year ago handed him the trophy. Also, Josiah doesn't know it, but we missed his baseball party this year, along with the trophy. This story reminds me to call his coach and arrange to at least PICK UP the trophy...