Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Red Shirt Lake

The day after the wedding at Bayshore Chris and I wanted to just get out camping, anywhere. We've been waiting for a nice weekend to come along and it looks like that just won't happen, so rain or shine we set out to the Nancy Lake area to pitch a tent and do some fishing.We stayed at the South Rolly Lake campground and found a campsite right next to the lake and the first night was really beautiful, peaceful, lovely.







We had put the kids in bed, Chris was working on getting the fishing poles ready for the next day and I was purposefully sitting in the smoke coming off of the campfire to get away from the mosquitoes. It wasn't really a campfire, the firewood we got from the campground was soaked. No warming flames but lots of great mosquito deterring smoke!
The next day we woke up to rain. It was just a little bit of a drizzle, so we were bound and determined to continue on with the plans to hike in 3 miles to Red Shirt lake for some Pike fishing. Chris carried Raegan on his back, Tucker carried a hydration pack, Gunner carried a hydration pack, Calvin carried an oar, I carried a backpack of supplies, the fishingpoles, and the life jackets, haha!












The kids were little troopers, they held out longer than I expected that they would. We took frequent breaks for them and eventually made it out to Red Shirt lake. Chris had rented a canoe from the campground, where they gave him a key to unlock one of the canoes already out at the lake. Whew! I'm glad we didn't have to carry it!




We didn't have any luck catching pike but we had a great time paddling around the lake. It was a relaxing, lazy time at the lake, still in the drizzle. And then it was time to head back. The boys didn't want to have any part of that. Calvin lost it minutes into the walk back and Gunner was doing his best to keep it together. We started talking about the rides at DisneyLand and his pace really quickened! Tucker did so good. Not hardly a peep out of that one. Chris was so sore from carrying Raegan and Calvin, at the same time. Yep, Calvin had to be carried part of the way and he fell asleep on Chris' shoulders, haha! So cute!

When we made it back to the trail head the rain was really coming down so we had to strip and pack all the kiddos in the suburban and then take down the rest of the camp. The tent is still drying out in the garage.. yuck!

Hopefully the kids look back on this trip as a fun time and not as a form of torture. It was nice to get out with my family...despite the rain.

3 comments:

Connie Marie said...

Marie remembered when we took all of you kids out there in our camper, did you? That was a nice place to camp. I don't remember it being wet, mosquito-y. I opted out of the hike and Dad took all of you out for that. It was such a peaceful place to be, haha. Tulik Trail was around that area, is it still there?

DeLong House said...

I think the tulik trail is still there. I seem to remember reading it somewhere. I remember going camping there and hiking the red shirt lake trail...I also remember you being on the hike too...hah! Those were great memories for me, something I hope my kids will have with us.

Connie Marie said...

lol about me being on the hike!!!! If you remember me being on the hike, then perhaps your kids will be forever asking why you didn't go on this hike with them, haha.