Thursday, January 6, 2011

Alaska Everything!

Seems like the world has just discovered what we've lived the past 16 years.  Deadlistest Catch, Ice Road Truckers, Alaska State Troopers, Sarah Palin's Alaska, Gold Rush, Discover Alaska, Axe Men, Alaska Week, Myth Busters Alaska, Discover Alaska, and now Flying Alaska Wild.  What is it about Alaska that makes it so unique/intriguing? Is it the vast land with no road access, is it the harsh temperatures, glorious summers, wild life, what is it? There hasn't been a lot of home sickness since we've moved, but we've been really busy and stressed to really think about it, but it's creeping in.  I find myself missing my hour commute talking to Jeremy and Dave. I miss my Friday and Saturday nights with Sarah and Jeremy, Sunday morning church, Sunday Night Awana's and the idea of hunting with a few friends.  I honestly can't put my finger on it- why is Alaska "Special"? I no longer tell people I'm from Washington; I don't identify with it- I tell them I'm from Alaska and their eye's light up and I can talk until they don't want to listen anymore.  When I see a Salty Dawg sweatshirt down here I always holler out to them.  There's a kinship- I just don't understand but it's undeniable.  There are more remote areas of the world, harsher temperatures, better summers, and places on this earth that have more wildlife.  But if you said I'm from the Outback, Minnesota, Florida, Africa you'd never get the reaction than when you say Alaska.  What do you think?

2 comments:

Sarah said...

What do I think? I think you need your very own Salty Dawg sweatshirt.
PS: We miss you too.

Anonymous said...

Chris I think Alaska is special for many of the same reasons you do. Its wild, clean, vast and diverse. The mountains, the animals, the crazy weather and the diverse people that inhabit it. Its a bit like a wonderful alcoholic concoction, that is greater than the sum of its parts. Its only really good if it has all its ingredients in the proper portions. I also think that Alaska offers that sense of adventure that so many people yearn for,and is difficult to find in other places. Here its a few steps off the road, or sometimes just a few steps out your front door! Anyway you slice it, Alaska is very special, and for a certain part of the population, it really is the greatest place or earth. Talk to you soon,Geoff