Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Bye Bye Buddy Buck DeLong The Sequel

Just like all sequels this is worst than the first.  Despite a 3 day search party Buck never returned.  I keep hoping that he'll suddenly dash across the lawn, but........ So last Sunday we drove to a pet store to purchase another "Buck". We found a tri-color Guinea pig that looked a lot like Buck but with medium length hair.  He had a funny cowlick in the middle of his head and was very soft to the touch.  He had been handled more than Sr. so he was very friendly and would purr when held.  I kept telling Gunner how impressed I was with the demeanor of the Jr. (which was re-named to Beethoven).  Today when Karla and the kids came home they found Beethoven dead on the living room floor.  Hopper had (FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER) opened up the garage door by himself and "played" Beethoven to death. Despite the obvious shock and sadness there also was an enormous amount of guilt.  We were one of THOSE people- irresponsible pet owners sending little critters to their death. I feel ashamed to show my face in the local pet store again.  I told her the story of Buck- how could I return and tell her about Beethoven? I won't; I can't; I will drive to Portland (1.5 hours a way) and purchase another Guinea pig in complete anonymity. However this time we will keep the cage upstairs and behind closed doors.  Do you think this will cause commitment issues for Gunner?  Is therapy expensive? BLAH.... not a good feeling!

1 comment:

Marie said...

Aww! So sad!

haha. one of THOSE pet owners.